Associate Director, Translational Medicine
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch is a clinical-stage company developing novel microbiome drugs to serve patients with serious unmet medical needs. Our machine learning-based platform mines molecular data collected from human interventional studies to identify the microbial communities driving positive patient outcomes in different disease areas. By developing drugs from microbial communities that have already demonstrated therapeutic effects in humans, we are pioneering a new approach to drug discovery and rapidly transforming the promise of the microbiome into a reality for patients.
Our lead therapeutic candidate, CP101, is initially targeting the prevention of recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). CP101 recently met its primary endpoint in a large placebo-controlled trial in recurrent CDI, providing the first positive pivotal data for an oral microbiome drug. We also have programs targeting the treatment of chronic hepatitis B, children with autism and serious GI symptoms, as well as two programs partnered with Takeda Pharmaceuticals targeting inflammatory bowel disease.
Finch Therapeutics is seeking a Translational Medicine Leader for our first in human (FIH), proof of concept (POC), Ph II-III investigational studies in various diseases. The ideal candidate for this position will have experience in developing strategy and implementation of biomarkers and relevant translational medicine activities. The incumbent will serve as a primary contributor to Finch’s Translational Medicine team, working closely with the Clinical Development and Research organizations to develop, validate and implement biomarkers in clinical studies.
This role embraces the principles of a translational medicine mindset, with a focus on scientific rigor and operational excellence. The ideal candidate will have a passionate desire to help transform current treatment paradigms while working in an innovative and fast-paced small-company environment.
- Oversee the design, development, qualification/validation and implementation of the quality pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, pharmacogenomic, patient selection (where appropriate), biomarker assays to support the advancement of preclinical programs into the clinic.
- Manage the design and implementation of biomarker analysis in clinical trials, ensuring operational execution by partnering with biomarker labs and data management according to GCP guidelines.
- Work with and interface closely with a cross functional team (including Molecular Microbiology, Analytical Development, Quality, Regulatory, and Clinical Development) to ensure early definition of, and agreement on TM strategy and workplans in line with the overall program, clinical development and regulatory requirement.
- Partner with the Research Team to address translational medicine questions with samples acquired through preclinical in vivo studies and clinical trials.
- Responsibility for the biomarker aspect of clinical protocol design and writing, as well as authoring the biomarker sections of Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study Protocols and Reports, study procedural manuals and consent forms, program documents, regulatory submissions and responses (INDs/CTAs) in collaboration with the clinical team. Co-author, assist and support the development of publications, abstracts, and presentations. Interact with clinical sites and partners to ensure accurate and appropriate clinical sample collection to support the biomarker strategy.
- Lead efforts for clinical studies biomarker data generation, interpretation, and communication. Review and analyze assay data for quality assurance and consistency, oversee implementation plans for clinical sample operations, management, and analysis according to GCP guidelines.
- Partner with biostatisticians and bioanalytical laboratories (Vendors) to establish biomarker analysis plans to ensure delivery of high-quality data to support analysis, interpretation and reports of clinical biomarkers for internal decision-making and Health Authority submissions.
- Represent Translational Medicine in cross-functional project teams and prepare data presentations and relevant updates.
- Lead publication efforts related to translational pre-clinical and clinical activities in collaboration with Program Team.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of scientific and clinical published literature in relevant therapeutic areas.
- PhD, PharmD, or MSc, with minimum 7 years of relevant work experience, including a minimum of 3-5 years in translational medicine and biomarker strategies during clinical stages of drug development.
- Strong scientific background in a relevant field (Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Autoimmunity, Infectious Diseases, Neuroscience, other).
- Experience in bioanalytical assay development and methods qualification to support PK and biomarkers including technology transfer, implementation at CROs including quality oversight is a strong plus.
- Good understanding of the biopharmaceutical environment, drug development relevant areas of biostatistics, regulatory, clinical pharmacology and new biomarker identification and validation framework.
- Knowledge of biomarker development and implementation process in early stage of drug development to support clinical assay development, qualification and validation for mechanism of action, proof of biologic activity, proof of concept, patient stratification and response prediction markers. Relevant skills include understanding of relevant immunological techniques (PCR, flow cytometry, intracellular staining, immunoassays, IHC, etc.), and molecular biology. Experience with the development of precision medicine approaches as laboratory developed tests (LDT) or companion diagnostics (CDx) is a plus.
- Experience and working knowledge of GxP guidelines (GCP, GMP) as well as contracting with, overseeing and managing external vendors to implement bioanalytical assay development and ensure execution excellence and data analysis integrating different data modalities in support of clinical studies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establishing effective collaborative relationships with internal and external teams and work successfully in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Strong oral, written and presentations communications skills with the ability to represent the Translational Medicine within the organization.
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or expand your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA* include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service, fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap, and highly subsidized meals through LeanBox.. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Though only facility-dependent employees are currently working onsite in Somerville, Ma, we all plan to return to the office when it’s safe to do so.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.