Director, Total Rewards
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch is a clinical-stage company developing novel microbiome drugs to serve patients with serious unmet medical needs. Our machine learning-based platform mines molecular data collected from human interventional studies to identify the microbial communities driving positive patient outcomes in different disease areas. By developing drugs from microbial communities that have already demonstrated therapeutic effects in humans, we are pioneering a new approach to drug discovery and rapidly transforming the promise of the microbiome into a reality for patients.
Our lead therapeutic candidate, CP101, is initially targeting the prevention of recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). CP101 recently met its primary endpoint in a large placebo-controlled trial in recurrent CDI, providing the first positive pivotal data for an oral microbiome drug. We also have programs targeting the treatment of chronic hepatitis B, children with autism and serious GI symptoms, as well as two programs partnered with Takeda Pharmaceuticals targeting inflammatory bowel disease.
Reporting to the Head of People Operations, the Director, Total Rewards will be responsible for the continuous development, implementation, communication and maintenance of the Company’s rewards functions, including Compensation, HR Systems and Benefits. You will drive and provide the strategic direction for performance & rewards initiatives company-wide. This individual will create and maintain position and compensation infrastructure to support the attraction, retention and motivation of employees.
The Director will develop and continuously improve incentive and bonus plan design(s) that best fit with the organizational culture, priorities and business model. They will also oversee and manage the administration of all benefit programs and ensure that the HR systems strategy and execution successfully position the organization for continuous growth. This individual will partner with Leadership to ensure that all programs support the organization’s strategic objectives, are competitive, cost effective and in compliance with legal requirements.
Responsibilities will include:
- Design, implement and communicate executive compensation strategy and programs. Prepare materials for the Compensation Committee meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Partner with finance and legal organizations on SEC-related matters, public filings, Proxy preparation and solicitation, investor outreach, and annual shareholder meeting preparation.
- Direct the design and evolvement of the company’s broad-based compensation programs including base salary, annual incentive, long term incentive, and sales commissions.
- The design and development of variable compensation plans for all job levels in order to support business objectives.
- Lead the evaluation of jobs and the application of existing job classifications, assignment of job levels, salary ranges and FLSA status to positions.
- Direct annual market survey and recommendations regarding changes in salary plans; oversee all activity related to published compensation surveys throughout the year and audit survey output, market trends and competitive pay positions to ensure Finch’s salary plans meet overall company goals and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring the Company’s compensation plans comply with country and local laws and regulations. Partner with finance and legal organizations on SEC-related matters, including proxy development.
- Use extensive knowledge of the health care landscape, and creative benefit design, to implement and manage the company’s health, welfare, and retirement programs ensuring competitive, cost-effective plans that drive a wellness culture.
- Lead the negotiation and contracting with benefit plan providers, vendors, auditors and consultants for services, premiums and plan administration.
- Research, analyze, and recommend benefits programs by understanding employee population and trends, and developments in benefits offered by other organizations.
- Manage processes and controls to ensure compliance for all federal, state, and local legal requirements; obtaining qualified opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements.
- Create and enhance benefit policies and procedures.
- Oversee the management and execution of the 401k plan including all compliance and fiduciary activities; member of fiduciary committee
- Manage the preparation of information for ensuring compliance including annual 401(k) plan, 5500s, Summary Plan Descriptions, FLSA, ADA, ERISA, ACA, FMLA, HR audits, etc.
- Responsible for the secure delivery and effective utilization of the company’s HR systems and data including design, implementation, modification, and interface of HR information management solutions.
- Lead project management for HRIS including project development, management of financial, technical and resource requirements, and implementation of best practices and innovative solutions.
- Interface and partner with IT organization to ensure the effective integration of HRIS with other business applications.
- A minimum of 10 years of broad based and progressive experience designing and managing compensation, benefits and HRIS programs, ideally in the Biotech/Pharma Industry.
- Demonstrated track record of designing and developing compensation strategies and plans in a public company environment, to include executive compensation, pay-for-performance, incentive planning, bonus, profit sharing, employee stock purchase, and other compensation vehicles.
- Demonstrable knowledge of state-of-the-art thinking and practices in Biotech/Pharma Industry with the ability and willingness to dive deep and rollup up one’s sleeves.
- Demonstrable ability to achieve goals through influencing, partnering and developing productive relationships with senior leadership and line managers across the business.
- Be recognized as the “go to” person for all compensation and benefits issues.
- Previous experience leading, managing and building teams in a fasted paced dynamic environment.
- Ability to interact easily across all levels within the organization; tactful; mature; flexible. High level of collaboration and influencing skills. Strong planning, organization, delegation and decision-making abilities.
- High energy and drive to create an environment of continuous improvement
- Experience with due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, Sarbanes-Oxley, 409A, 280g, SEC regulations and other organizational change and regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. Master’s Degree in related field a plus.
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or expand your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA* include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service, fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap, and highly subsidized meals through LeanBox. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Though only facility-dependent employees are currently working onsite in Somerville, Ma, we all plan to return to the office when it’s safe to do so.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.