Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch Therapeutics is a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company leveraging its Human-First Discovery platform to develop a novel class of orally administered biological drugs.With the capabilities to develop both complete and targeted microbiome therapeutics, Finch is advancing a rich pipeline of candidates designed to address a wide range of unmet medical needs. Finch’s lead candidate, CP101, is in late-stage clinical development for recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). In June 2020, Finch announced that CP101 met its primary efficacy endpoint in PRISM3, the first of two pivotal trials to support the development of CP101 for the prevention of recurrent CDI. Finch is also developing CP101 for chronic hepatitis B, and FIN-211 for autism spectrum disorder. In partnership with Takeda, Finch is advancing FIN-524 and FIN-525 for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, respectively.
This role will provide leadership plus support to create a culture of safety and will report directly to the Senior Manager of Laboratory Operations. This person will have overall EH&S operational responsibility in a rapidly growing multi-site facility. A critical part of this role will be developing and supporting all aspects of EH&S managements system across the entire Finch organization.
- Supporting the development and implementation of all EH&S policies, procedures, and systems including
- Risk Assessment
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Hazard Communication
- Safety Training
- Emergency Response
- Accident/Near miss reporting
- Business continuity planning
- Provides the leadership required to improve Finch’s Safety Culture by driving operational excellence
- Management of specific external vendors including OSHA, DPH, MWRA, and other Regulatory Agencies
- Conduct regular internal safety audits
- Designs, coordinates, and conducts emergency response exercises including fire drills
- Creates and implements educational opportunities that develop staff’s understanding of safety standards
- Leads a multidisciplinary Safety Committee
- Creates, reviews, and updates SOP in electronic document management system (eDMS), e.g. MasterControl, Veeva Vault
- May negotiate contracts with outside vendors providing services related to safety, and participate in internal budget processes to secure proper resourcing
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) with a focus in Environmental Management, Occupational Safety & Health Management, Industrial Hygiene, or other related science/engineering degree required
- 5+ years of EH&S experience
- 2+ years of Safety Officer experience
- 1+ years of experience in manufacturing operations
- Familiar with microbiology
- Direct experience with biological risk assessments, process safety assessments
- Experience with regulatory requirements pertaining to occupational health and environment safety as it relates to the biotech industry
- Ability to investigate and create written reports to safety related issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for frequent collaborations with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong presentation and training capabilities
- Outstanding fast paced problem-solving ability
- Proficient in technical writing and computer skills
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Harvard Pilgrim in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or grow your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service, fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap, and highly subsidized meals through LeanBox. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Only facility-dependent employees are working on-site in Somerville until further notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.