Principal Scientist, Computational Biology
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch Therapeutics is a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company leveraging its Human-First Discovery platform to develop a novel class of orally administered biological drugs.
With the capabilities to develop both complete and targeted microbiome therapeutics, Finch is advancing a rich pipeline of candidates designed to address a wide range of unmet medical needs. Finch’s lead candidate, CP101, is in late-stage clinical development for recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). In June 2020, Finch announced that CP101 met its primary efficacy endpoint in PRISM3, the first of two pivotal trials to support the development of CP101 for the prevention of recurrent CDI. Finch is also developing CP101 for chronic hepatitis B, and FIN-211 for autism spectrum disorder. In partnership with Takeda, Finch is advancing FIN-524 and FIN-525 for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, respectively.
At Finch the Data Science team is an integral component of Research. As a member of our team, your mission is to develop systems and intuition to advance successful microbial therapies. You will develop and lead projects that involve designing experiments (computational, bench, animal, and clinical) and extracting mechanistic understanding of disease drivers and microbial therapies from the analysis of high-throughput microbial and host data. You will further our host biology platform by mining microbial and host datasets and working closely with bench scientists and clinicians to propose and test functional hypotheses. You will play the role of a project leader as well as a technical expert in Finch collaborations with academic laboratories and partner companies. You will have the opportunity to participate in our product development from early discovery, biomarker discovery to regulatory applications and clinical trials, learning about the full life cycle of drug development.
- Lead cross-functional project teams and scientific working groups, and align project and team objectives with company strategy
- Collaborate with internal and external partners in interdisciplinary teams and represent Data Science as the prime technical and/or scientific expert
- Clearly communicate project plans, results, caveats, and rationale for decision-making with a variety of audiences including clinicians, bench scientists, industry executives, and academic researchers
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of advanced concepts in one or more relevant areas: microbial/host genomics, statistics, immunology, drug development and translational research
- Propose new biological hypotheses for microbial drivers of pathology and therapy based on analysis of high throughput data, literature review, and in house experiments; work with bench scientists to design microbial and host function and phenotype experiments, and lead analysis of resulting data to test these hypotheses
- Contribute to advancing Finch’s computational platform by developing new analysis strategies for large heterogenous biological datasets (e.g. transriptomic, metagenomic, metabolomic, proteomic) through effective use of machine learning and multivariable statistics
- Work with clinicians to analyze high-throughput trial data to enable translational research
- May manage other computational scientists and bioinformatics research associates
- Work effectively as part of a multifunctional team in support of a commercially viable therapeutics discovery platform
- PhD in computational biology or a related field with 5+ years of industry experience or significant relevant post-doctoral experience in drug discovery or biomedical/clinical research
- Track record of leading cross-functional, project-focused, teams to drive scientific discovery
- Proven expertise in statistical analysis of high-throughput datasets from one or more of: genomics/ transcriptomics of microbial community or host systems, metabolomics, immunology, and genetics.
- Proficiency in algorithm design, implementation and deployment using R/Bioconductor, Python, or other contemporary, open-source tools
- Proficiency with data visualization, especially with R or python matplotlib
- Familiarity with cloud computing, in particular Google Cloud
- Ability to work independently
- Eagerness to work collaboratively in a team and to both give and receive feedback to support professional development for self and others
- Ability to perform complex analyses in a time sensitive fashion
- Strong organizational and communications and team-work skills
- Passion, humility, and excitement to drive research forward
Additional Desired Skills & Experience (not required)
- Previous managerial experience in industry setting
- Experience executing computational analysis of metagenomic datasets
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Harvard Pilgrim in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer generous paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or grow your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service (temporarily closed due to COVID), fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Only facility-dependent employees are working on-site in Somerville until further notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.