Research Associate, Microbiology
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch Therapeutics is a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company leveraging its Human-First Discovery platform to develop a novel class of orally administered biological drugs.
With the capabilities to develop both complete and targeted microbiome therapeutics, Finch is advancing a rich pipeline of candidates designed to address a wide range of unmet medical needs. Finch’s lead candidate, CP101, is in late-stage clinical development for recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). In June 2020, Finch announced that CP101 met its primary efficacy endpoint in PRISM3, the first of two pivotal trials to support the development of CP101 for the prevention of recurrent CDI. Finch is also developing CP101 for chronic hepatitis B, and FIN-211 for autism spectrum disorder. In partnership with Takeda, Finch is advancing FIN-524 and FIN-525 for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, respectively.
We are seeking a Research Associate to join our Microbiology team to support the isolation and characterization of the gut microbiota for our microbial drug development platform. The candidate will collaborate in a matrixed, interdisciplinary team including data science, bioprocess and analytical development to contribute to our therapeutic pipelines for recurrent C. difficile infection, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and novel indications. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Develop and evaluate innovative approaches and technologies for the culturing and isolation of bacteria from clinical samples, including stool, including novel high throughput methods
- Generate and characterize an extensive bacteria culture collection for development of microbial therapeutics
- Leverage understanding of microbiology, molecular biology, and metabolic physiology to inform development of novel assays to investigate mechanisms of therapeutic interest
- Develop robust methods for exploratory, characterization, release and translational assays in cross-functional collaborations with Analytical Development, Bioprocess Development, and Translational Medicine
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to produce purified research cell banks
- Identify opportunities to optimize workflows and increase efficiency
- Work in and maintain an anaerobic chamber
- Carry out good documentation practices including maintenance of laboratory notebooks, sample tracking, data analyses and report writing
- Opportunities for technical and professional growth, and leadership of initiatives over time
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of relevant research experience in microbiology, microbial ecology, molecular microbiology, or a related field. Relevant experience may include undergraduate thesis projects
- Ability to plan experiments, analyze data, interpret and present results, prepare reports
- Capable of independent work and willingness to take initiative
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational and communication skills required
- Detail-oriented and open to giving and providing feedback to support professional development
- Passion, humility, and excitement for doing whatever it takes to drive research forward
- Must be legally eligible for work in the United States
- Microbial culture(Bacterial isolation from complex communities, Aseptic technique, Micro-pipetting, Media preparation, Anaerobic culture)
- Molecular microbiology(Nucleic acid extraction, amplification, and sequencing)
- Data analysis(Basic Python abilities to manipulate, analyze and visualize data sets)
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Harvard Pilgrim in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or grow your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service, fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap, and highly subsidized meals through LeanBox. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Only facility-dependent employees are working on–site in Somerville until further notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.