Research Associate, Metabolomics
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch Therapeutics is a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company leveraging its Human-First Discovery platform to develop a novel class of orally administered biological drugs.
With the capabilities to develop both complete and targeted microbiome therapeutics, Finch is advancing a rich pipeline of candidates designed to address a wide range of unmet medical needs. Finch’s lead candidate, CP101, is in late-stage clinical development for recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). In June 2020, Finch announced that CP101 met its primary efficacy endpoint in PRISM3, the first of two pivotal trials to support the development of CP101 for the prevention of recurrent CDI. Finch is also developing CP101 for chronic hepatitis B, and FIN-211 for autism spectrum disorder. In partnership with Takeda, Finch is advancing FIN-524 and FIN-525 for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, respectively.
We are seeking a Research Associate to support our Metabolomics team with functional characterization and screening of fecal microbiota for our microbial drug development platform. The candidate will collaborate in a matrixed, interdisciplinary team including Data Science, Bioprocess, and Analytical Development to contribute to our therapeutic pipelines for recurrent C. difficile infection, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and novel indications. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Synthesize existing datasets to inform hypotheses for mechanisms underlying the efficacy of microbial interventions
- Facilitate provision of inputs for data scientists to test these hypotheses in silico using large molecular and clinical datasets
- Leverage understanding of microbiology, molecular biology, and metabolic physiology to inform development of novel assays (culture-based, biochemistry, analytical chemistry) to investigate mechanisms of therapeutic interest across a variety of indications
- Design scalable and robust implementation of assays for high-throughput screening of our expansive strain library during Initial Product Discovery
- Develop robust methods for cross-functional technology transfer to Technical Development and Translational Medicine teams
- Evaluate new technologies to expand Research Platform capabilities
- Execute experiments, analyze data, and document results in scientific reports and presentations
- Work in and maintain an anaerobic chamber
- Collaborate with Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Host Cell Biology, Data Science, Analytical Development, and Process Development teams to accomplish program goals
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of relevant experience in microbiology, microbial ecology, molecular microbiology, immunology, biology, biochemistry, or a related field
- Capable of independent work and willing to take initiative
- Excellent problem-solving skills required
- Detail-oriented and open to feedback
- Responsible and reliable, capable of maturity in handling confidential information
- Passion, humility, and excitement for doing whatever it takes to drive research forward
- Must be legally eligible for work in the United States
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Microbial culture
- Aseptic technique
- Media preparation
- Anaerobic culture
- Molecular microbiology
- Nucleic acid extraction, amplification, and sequencing
- Metabolic assays
- Chromatography: GC, HPLC
- Sample fractionation and extraction
- Data Analysis
- Basic Python abilities to manipulate, analyze, and visualize data
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Harvard Pilgrim in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or grow your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service, fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap, and highly subsidized meals through LeanBox. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Only facility-dependent employees are working on-site in Somerville until further notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.