Research Scientist, Molecular Microbiology
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch Therapeutics is a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company leveraging its Human-First Discovery platform to develop a novel class of orally administered biological drugs.
With the capabilities to develop both complete and targeted microbiome therapeutics, Finch is advancing a rich pipeline of candidates designed to address a wide range of unmet medical needs. Finch’s lead candidate, CP101, is in late-stage clinical development for recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI). In June 2020, Finch announced that CP101 met its primary efficacy endpoint in PRISM3, the first of two pivotal trials to support the development of CP101 for the prevention of recurrent CDI. Finch is also developing CP101 for chronic hepatitis B, and FIN-211 for autism spectrum disorder. In partnership with Takeda, Finch is advancing FIN-524 and FIN-525 for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, respectively.
We are seeking a Research Scientist with expertise in Molecular Microbiology to lead the development of Finch’s infrastructure enabling the generation of diverse molecular datasets. You will drive innovation and methods development to analyze a variety of clinical sample types. You will work closely with the Data Science team to refine next generation sequencing approaches and with the Technical Operations team to implement high-throughput workflows. These capabilities will support high-impact molecular data collection from numerous clinical trials as well as taxonomic and functional characterization of gut microbiota in therapeutic development across multiple disease programs. Accordingly, you will have the opportunity to participate broadly across the drug development life cycle from early discovery through product development and clinical trials.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Propose biological hypotheses for mechanisms underlying the efficacy of microbial interventions in the treatment of disease
- Work closely with data scientists to test these hypotheses in silico using large molecular and clinical datasets
- Optimize conditions for nucleic acid extraction from different types of clinical research samples
- Develop qPCR, ddPCR, 16S rRNA, and metagenomic sequencing workstreams for the characterization of mixed microbial communities and gut microbiota
- Identify, evaluate, and implement new molecular techniques and sequencing technologies to innovate robust assays
- Develop robust methods for exploratory, characterization, release and translational assays in cross-functional collaborations with Analytical Development, Bioprocess Development, and Translational Medicine
- Support Research activities from early discovery through development, preclinical, and clinical program stages
- Advise scalable implementation of assays for high-throughput screening of microbial isolates and consortia
- Perform regular risk and feasibility assessments to inform modifications to workstreams and project timelines
- Communicate development plans, experimental outcomes, and project updates to a variety of audiences including associates, scientists, leadership, clinicians, and research collaborators
- PhD in molecular microbiology, molecular biology, molecular ecology, or a related field
- Demonstrated success working with clinical samples including stool, swabs, and biopsies
- Experience culturing a diversity of gut microbiota
- Extensive experience with the optimization of WGS, amplicon, metagenomic, and/or metatranscriptomic library preparation across different NGS platforms including Illumina’s MiSeq and HiSeq
- Proven ability to design new molecular assays for the characterization of gut microbiota
- Demonstrated ability to plan experiments, analyze data sets, interpret results, troubleshoot experiments, prepare reports, and present results
- Effective communication and collaboration in a team
- Open to both give and provide feedback to support professional development for self and others
- Passion, humility, and excitement for doing whatever it takes to drive research forward
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we strive to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Harvard Pilgrim in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or grow your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous non-discretionary 401K contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch in the future and other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service, fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap, and highly subsidized meals through LeanBox. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Only facility-dependent employees are working on-site in Somerville until further notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.