Senior Research Scientist, Immunology
Location: Somerville, Massachusetts, 02143, United States
Finch Therapeutics is a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company leveraging its Human-First Discovery® platform to develop a novel class of orally administered biological drugs. With the capabilities to develop both complete and targeted microbiome therapeutics, Finch is advancing a rich pipeline of candidates designed to address a wide range of unmet medical needs. Finch’s lead candidate, CP101, is in late-stage clinical development for the prevention of recurrent C. difficile infection (CDI) and has received Breakthrough Therapy and Fast Track designations from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Finch is also developing FIN-211 for children with autism spectrum disorder and significant gastrointestinal symptoms. Finch has a partnership with Takeda focused on the development of targeted microbiome therapeutics for inflammatory bowel disease.
We are seeking a Senior Research Scientist with a deep interest and experience in Immunology, Cell Biology and Microbiology to support our Host Cell Biology team. You will contribute to several programs at Finch and will lead cross-functional research activities.
- Lead cross-functional research activities for Finch programs from early discovery through development, preclinical, and clinical program stages
- Propose biological hypotheses for mechanisms underlying the efficacy of microbial interventions
- Work closely with data scientists to test these hypotheses in silico using large molecular and clinical datasets
- Advise translational development of host biomarkers for microbial interventions in clinical studies
- Advise scalable implementation of assays for high-throughput screening of microbial isolates and consortia
- Perform regular risk and feasibility assessments to inform modifications to projects and timelines
- Manage team-members to execute projects and workstreams, including collaboratively defining clear work plans, coordinating resource availability for experiments, ensuring good documentation practices, and responding to feedback from the team
- Work across different functional teams and projects for the design and development of microbial therapeutics
- Communicate development plans, experimental outcomes, and project updates to a variety of audiences including associates, scientists, clinicians, research collaborators and Finch leadership
- PhD in immunology, cell biology, microbiology or a related field
- >4 years of industry experience
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional projects
- Experience in biomarker development for gut barrier integrity, mucosal inflammation and gut-brain-axis activation
- Deep understanding of drug development including experience with regulatory filings
- Proven ability to design new immunological, cellular, or microbiological assays for the characterization of host-microbial interactions
- Effective communication and collaboration in a team
- Experience managing a team of researchers
- Open to both give and provide feedback to support professional development for self and others
- Passion, humility, and excitement for doing whatever it takes to drive research forward
More About Finch
Here at Finch, we are determined to create the best work environment and experience for you through our formal benefits programs and fringe perks. Together, we hope that we’ll create a fun & supportive environment in and out of the workplace as we strive to create a new class of therapeutics together to help patients.
- Our formal benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage through Harvard Pilgrim in addition to life insurance and long-term & short-term disability policies. We offer discretionary and flexible paid time off policies. Should you choose to start or grow your family while working at Finch, we aspire to lead our peers by offering several months of paid parental leave. We also offer a generous 401(k) contribution to help teammates save for life beyond Finch, as well as other savings and investment opportunities.
- We also try to keep the workplace an inspiring and motivating place to work with our fringe perks. Our facilities in Somerville, MA include an in-office gym with a shower and towel service (temporarily closed due to COVID), fully stocked kitchen with free snacks, iced coffee & flavored/sparkling waters on tap. We sponsor ride-sharing to and from the office from preset locations around Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. We are always evaluating our fringe perks and hope to grow them alongside our team.
*Only facility-dependent employees are working on-site in Somerville until further notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote, will be based on aptitude, performance, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Finch will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.